Medical Laboratory Scientists perform tests on blood and body fluids to determine the presence or absence of disease, monitor response to treatment, and aid in health maintenance.
Want to learn more? Click here to view a video about becoming a medical technologist.
- 12 months
- Classes begin in July
- Application Deadline: March 1st
- File Completion: March 15th
- 8-9 students accepted for each class
- Degree may be obtained through academic affiliation
- A portion of this curriculum utilizes web-based instruction
- Completed Application
- Provide evidence of successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- Baccalaureate degree or University Affiliate student
- Medical Laboratory Science Checklist
- Laboratory Tour
- ACT of a composite score of 20 or better
- Overall college cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
See the Medical Laboratory Science handbook for more information.
|College Algebra||3 hours|
|General Chemistry*||8 hours|
|Organic Chemistry*||4 hours|
|Organic Chemistry II or Biochemistry||3-4 hours|
|General Biology/Zoology*||8 hours|
|*Must include Laboratory||Total: 37 - 38 Hours|
Strongly suggest applicants select immunology and genetic course work as electives.
Microbiology should be retaken if completed more than seven (7) years prior to application date.
The cost of the Baptist Health School of Medical Laboratory Science varies depending on the individual student. Please download the Allied Health cost plan for estimated costs.
The Baptist Health School of Medical Laboratory Science prefers an ACT Score of 20 or above for admission. If you do not score a 20 or above, we recommend that you re-test. Generally, students are able to increase their score with each time they take the ACT. We also recommend that you use a study guide or preparatory course that is specifically designed for the ACT.
As a student in the Baptist Health School of Medical Laboratory Science, you will be in class 5 days per week.
At this time, the Baptist Health School of Medical Laboratory Science does not offer classes at night or online classes. Some of the courses are blended which reduces the time spent on campus.
Earnings for Medical Laboratory Scientists vary greatly, and have many different factors. Please visit the US Department of Labor website to find out earning information.