Working as part of the surgical team under the direct supervision of a surgeon or registered nurse, the surgical technologist anticipates the needs of the surgeon, utilizes surgical equipment, and provides for the needs of the patient and surgical team.
- 2-3 Semesters in length, depending on track
- Classes begin in January and July
- Application Deadline: October 15 for January class; April 15 for July class
- File Completion Deadline: November 1 for January class; May 1 for July class
Available Tracks (AAS)
The Traditional Track begins twice a year and offers two options depending on the applicant’s college experience.
- Traditional Track: Enter directly into the two semester Surgical Technology program having all seven required general education courses. (2 Semesters)
- Traditional Track plus Gen Ed Prep: Enter the program as a general education prep student having at least two of the seven general education courses which must include one required science course with lab (4 hours) and one required non-science course (3 hours). (3 Semesters)
Applicants will be required to meet the following admission requirements:
- Completed Application Process
- A BHCLR applicant must be a high school graduate or have a GED prior to program start date. Please note that these are minimum requirements and applicants are ranked according to academic criteria.
- Official transcripts from each post-secondary institute attended, including but not limited to, concurrent college in high school, college, university, vo-tech, trade school, etc.
- Interview with selection committee.
Pre-Requisites College Courses for the Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
The Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS) is a postsecondary education resource service that provides comparable course information to facilitate student transfer within Arkansas public colleges and universities. Where available, ACTS course numbers are included. For more information see: https://editor.engagelively.com/widgets/adhe-crosswalks-by-subject/index.html
|Pre-Requisites / General Education for the AAS
|English Composition I
|English Composition II
|Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab
|Anatomy & Physiology II w/lab
|Psychology -or- Sociology
|TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION HOURS
The cost of the Baptist Health School of Surgical Technology varies depending on the individual student. Please download the Allied Health cost plan for estimated costs.
As a student in the Baptist Health School of Surgical Technology, you will be in class 4 days per week. Classroom hours are from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. Clinical hours are 6:30 am to 3:00 pm.
At this time, the Baptist Health School of Surgical Technology does not offer classes at night or online classes.
Earnings for Surgical Technologists vary greatly, and have many different factors. Please visit the US Department of Labor website to find out earning information.